Wheat germ is the embryo of the seed, which germinates into a plant. The germ is loaded with essential nutrients. Wheat germ oil is extracted from the germ.
- It is a natural oil which helps in cleansing the face efficiently. It helps seal moisture back and also gets rid of excess sebum, which could lead to other skin problems like acne, pimples, etc.
- Because of its high Vitamin E content, wheat germ oil helps in building collagen, the protein in the body that provides the skin its strength & structure. The oil repairs, heals & prevents scarring. In fact, regular application on scars can completely banish them.
- Vitamin A, D and fatty acids present in wheat germ oil help with cracked skin, giving it an even tone. It also provides natural hydration to the skin.
- Being a great source of vitamins - B6, Folic acid and E, wheat germ oil is said to act as an anti-ageing agent for the skin. Vitamin E is a strong anti-oxidant and it promotes healthy skin as it prevents many skin problems like psoriasis, eczema and dry skin. Vitamin B, on the other hand, helps in repairing tissue damage and promotes tissue growth.
How to use:-
- A few drops of the oil can be used on your skin or added to your face packs or masks.
- You can also take a few drops and message gently onto your face and let it rest. Those with oily skin condition must get in touch with a skin care expert before applying the oil.
DIY: As a Hair Nourisher
It is rich in linoleic acid and acts as a hair nourisher. Use it in the ratio 10:1 with other carrier oils such as olive and sesame (10 parts carrier oil and 1 part wheat germ oil) and apply on the scalp. Leave it on for some time before rinsing the hair.