The rose is widely considered the most beautiful flower in the world; however, it’s not only its physical beauty and fragrant aroma that’s enticing. The Essential Oil it produces has a myriad of benefits for the body and mind, and has been used in aromatherapy for thousands of years.
WHAT'S IN A NAME? THE MEANING OF ROSE
The word rosa is derived from the Greek word rodon, meaning “red.” The rose used by the Greeks was a deep, crimson color—the color of blood, passion, and love. The Greek poet Sappho referred to rose as the “Queen of Flowers.”
So when Juliet asks, What’s in a name? we know that this flower of love is named for the deep, red passion of Grecian roses.
(Romeo and Juliet)
WHERE DOES ROSE ESSENTIAL OIL COME FROM?
Rose Essential Oil has been used in beauty treatments and to treat health conditions for thousands of years. The rose itself, according to fossil evidence, is around 35 million years old, and its 150 species are thought to originate from throughout the Northern Hemisphere; from Alaska to Mexico and even northern Africa.
HISTORY OF ROSE ESSENTIAL OIL
- A worldwide phenomenon : Fossils have shown that the rose originated in Central Asia around 35 million years ago. Thanks to its unique beauty and scent, it was adopted by early civilizations such as the Chinese, Egyptians and Romans, who grew the rose widely as long as 5000 years ago.
- The rose takeover : The gardeners of the Han dynasty were so obsessed with the beauty of the rose that their parks threatened to engulf the land that was required for farming.
- The ‘wonder’ oil : The Incas adopted Rose Essential Oil in a variety of ways, using it as a cure-all remedy.
(Rose picking and rose essential oil production in Bulgaria)
BENEFITS AND USES
- The two most common types of roses used to create rose essential oil are the damask rose and the cabbage rose.
- Rose essential oil is commonly used for its pleasing aroma. It is often found in perfumes, skincare products and bath products. In fact, the oil has aphrodisiac properties that can increase feelings of arousal and intimacy.
Uses and benefits :
Diffuse with aroma diffuser.
Apply on your face with any carrier oil suitable for you.