GERANIUM ESSENTIAL OIL
People appreciate geraniums for their vivid blooms and delightful herbaceous fragrance. Geranium essential oil has a beautiful floral aroma with an underlying hint of mint.Traditionally used to balance the emotions and hormones, stimulate the lymph system, and to help a variety of skin conditions, it is also useful as a natural insect repellent and insecticide.
Flowers of Geranium
- Geranium” includes more than 200 species but only 5 are used for essential oils. The plant can reach 1-meter high.
- 300kg of plants are used for 1 kg of essential oil. (Source : decleor.co.uk)
WHERE DOES GERANIUM ESSENTIAL OIL COME FROM?
Deriving from the dry climes of Egypt, the Geranium plant is now grown around the world thanks to its use in medicine and cosmetics.
There is a huge variety of Geranium plant species, but Geranium Essential Oil is generally extracted from the leaves and stems through a process of steam distillation.
HISTORY OF GERANIUM ESSENTIAL OIL
- Ward off negativity: Centuries ago, and still in some cultures today, Geraniums were placed around the house to keep evil spirits at bay.
- Greek origins: The word ‘Geranium’ derives from the Greek geranos, which means ‘crane’; the bird whose beak inspired the name thanks to its similarity to the plant’s fruit.
- Early skincare: The Native Americans historically used Geranium roots to make a tonic to refresh and tone the skin.
Use in the bath or shower for absorption and aromatherapy benefits.
Diffuse it for aromatherapy benefits.
Massage the diluted oil or use with compress in case of muscle pain and stiffness.
Apply neat on wrinkled skin and wounds.
Geranium essential oil can be a dermal irritant for sensitive individuals. Conduct a patch test before use. Geranium essential oil has a deeply relaxing effect and should not be used prior to driving, operating machinery, or doing other tasks that require concentration. Because it can stimulate menstrual flow, pregnant women should avoid geranium essential oil. May act as a sedative. May cause skin irritation. Not safe for children under 6.
Acne, Ageing skin, Analgesic, Antibacterial, Antiseptic, Anxiety, Bruise, Burn, Cellulite, Circulatory health, Depression, Diuretic, Insecticide, Insect repellant, Intestinal parasites, Lice, Menopause support, PMS, Ringworm, Sedative, Shingles, Skincare, Sore throat, Stress, Styptic, Tonsillitis, Vasoconstrictor, Wounds